Yes, it’s vacation time. The warm weather is here, long holiday weekends and it’s time to take a few vacations this summer. Burglars are also looking forward to you taking a vacation. Is your home an easy target for burglars? Research shows that if it takes more than four or five minutes to break into a home, the burglar will go elsewhere. Don’t let your home be an easy mark for burglars. Check your home for weaknesses and make these corrections to keep your home safe.
- Take the time to “case” your house or apartment, just as a burglar would. Where is the easiest entry? How can you make it more burglar-resistant?
- Trim trees and shrubs near doors and windows, and think carefully before installing a high, wooden fence around your back yard. High fences and shrubbery can add to your privacy, but can also be an asset to a burglar. Consider trading a little extra privacy for a bit of added security.
- Force any would-be burglar to confront a real enemy—light. Exterior lights and motion detectors, mounted out of easy reach, can reduce the darkness a burglar finds comforting.
- Simple security devices—nails, screws, padlocks, door and window locks, grates, bars and bolts—can increase the amount of time it takes to break into your home.
- Invest in a burglar alarm. The most effective ones also ring at an outside service.
- Are any of your valuables—paintings, a silver collection or a computer—easy to see from outside the house? Rearranging your furnishings might be advisable if it makes your home less inviting to criminals.
These tips can help with keeping your home safe from a potential break-in. Spend a few minutes before you head on vacation and take these preventative measures to keep your home secure. You’ll be more comfortable the next time you go on vacation, knowing your home is safe.
Also remember that most insurance companies provide a discount for devices that make your home safer, such as dead bolt locks, smoke, fire and burglar alarms. If you have made any of these upgrades to your home be sure to give us a call and let us know.